Jump to Main Content
- Yamamoto, Ayako; Ishihara, Satomi; Ito, Fuminori
- Journal of insect behavior 2009 v.22 no.1 pp. 1-11
- Formicidae; foraging; insect behavior; nesting; nesting sites; nests; transportation; trees; Indonesia; Japan; Malaysia
- ... Foraging strategy of ant workers has been studied from several aspects, however, the mode of prey retrieval and factors affecting it have been rarely studied to date, even thought it is an important aspect for understanding ant foraging strategy. We investigated the behavioral response against large prey for 44 ant species of 34 genera belonging to eight subfamilies in Japan, Malaysia and Indonesi ...
- Matsumoto, Rikio
- Journal of insect behavior 2009 v.22 no.1 pp. 39-48
- Araneae; Formicidae; Ichneumonidae; hosts; insect behavior; instars; larvae; parasitoids; predators; pupae; webs
- ... When the larva of Brachyzapus nikkoensis, a koinobiont ectoparasitoid of Agelena limbata forming a funnel web, is a penultimate instar, “veils” of very fine and dense threads covering the spider and parasitoid larva were observed in the tunnel of funnel web. As the veils are not formed until the parasitoid became penultimate instar and the parasitoid larvae are on active hosts at this stage, the v ...