Jump to Main Content
- Kastberger, Gerald; Thenius, Ronald; Stabentheiner, Anton; Hepburn, Randall
- Journal of insect behavior 2009 v.22 no.1 pp. 65-85
- Apis mellifera; aggression; alarm pheromones; colony defense; environmental factors; flight; foraging; insect behavior; nests
- ... Colony defence in Apis mellifera involves a variety of traits ranging from 'aggressive' (e.g. entrance guarding, recruitment of flying guards) to 'docile' (e.g. retreating into the nest) expression. We tested 11 colonies of three subspecies (capensis, scutellata, carnica) regarding their defensiveness. Each colony was selected as reportedly 'aggressive', 'intermediate' or 'docile' and consisted of ...
- Yamamoto, Ayako; Ishihara, Satomi; Ito, Fuminori
- Journal of insect behavior 2009 v.22 no.1 pp. 1-11
- Formicidae; foraging; insect behavior; nesting; nesting sites; nests; transportation; trees; Indonesia; Japan; Malaysia
- ... Foraging strategy of ant workers has been studied from several aspects, however, the mode of prey retrieval and factors affecting it have been rarely studied to date, even thought it is an important aspect for understanding ant foraging strategy. We investigated the behavioral response against large prey for 44 ant species of 34 genera belonging to eight subfamilies in Japan, Malaysia and Indonesi ...