Jump to Main Content
Did you mean to type: david?
- Davis, Andrew K.
- Journal of insect behavior 2014 v.27 no.4 pp. 496-502
- Odontotaenius disjunctus; animals; elytra; physical activity; United States
- ... Many beetle species engage in territorial behaviors or male-male contests involving lifting or flipping their opponents, although this type of strength has never been empirically quantified. This study examined the lifting capacity of a medium-sized (1–2 g) saprolytic beetle native to the United States (horned passalus beetle, Odontotaenius disjunctus), and strength was measured during passive and ...
- Davis, Andrew K., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Journal of insect behavior 2010 v.23 no.6 pp. 405-418
- Asclepias curassavica; Danaus plexippus; autumn; coasts; females; flight; insect behavior; males; migratory behavior; migratory species; overwintering; roosting behavior; sex ratio; stopover sites; wings; Mexico; South Carolina
- ... Like most migratory species, monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) must stop frequently during their long southward migration to rest and refuel, and the places where they stop are important for the success of the migration. The behavior of monarch butterflies at migratory stopover sites has never been examined in detail. Here we present results of a long-term study of monarchs at one stopover si ...