Jump to Main Content
- Llopis, Jorge C.; Harimalala, Paul C.; Bär, Roger; Heinimann, Andreas; Rabemananjara, Zo Hasina; Zaehringer, Julie G.
- Journal of land use science 2019 v.14 no.1 pp. 52-80
- cash crops; conservation areas; crop prices; deforestation; farmers; forests; governance; humid tropics; intensive farming; land use change; landscapes; remote sensing; Madagascar
- ... We applied a participatory mapping approach supported by very high-resolution satellite imagery to reconstruct spatially explicit, year-to-year land use transitions in two highly biodiverse, data-scarce forest frontier landscapes in north-eastern Madagascar. We explored these transitions in the light of major continuous trends and discrete events highlighted by local farmers as influencing their l ...
- Jagarnath, Meryl; Thambiran, Tirusha; Gebreslasie, Michael
- Journal of land use science 2019 v.14 no.1 pp. 81-109
- climate change; computer software; green infrastructure; landscapes; metropolitan areas; models; planning; temporal variation; urbanization; South Africa
- ... Urbanization is one of the most significant and irreversible forms of land change, but we lack empirical evidence of these changes in the Global South. This is the first study to quantify past and explore future land change for the Durban metropolitan, using Land Change Modeler (LCM) software. Results show between 1994–2016, the total changed area was 118,403 ha (47% of landscape) and eleven trans ...