Jump to Main Content
- Bailey, Karen M.; McCleery, Robert A.; Binford, Michael W.; Zweig, Christa
- Journal of land use science 2016 v.11 no.2 pp. 154-176
- Landsat; agricultural land; biodiversity; conservation areas; deforestation; ecosystems; human settlements; humans; land cover; land use; landscapes; monitoring; shrubs; urbanization; vegetation cover; Africa
- ... The landscape surrounding protected areas influences their ability to maintain ecosystem functions and achieve conservation goals. As anthropogenic intensification continues, it is important to monitor land-use and land-cover change in and around protected areas. We measure land-cover change surrounding protected areas in the Maputaland-Pondoland-Albany Biodiversity hotspot from the 1980s to prese ...
- Cak, Anthony D.; Moran, Emilio F.; Figueiredo, Ricardo de O.; Lu, Dengsheng; Li, Guiying; Hetrick, Scott
- Journal of land use science 2016 v.11 no.2 pp. 203-221
- agricultural land; dissolved oxygen; fertilizers; forests; herbicides; households; hydrochemistry; land use; nitrogen content; soil types; soil weathering; streams; urban agriculture; urbanization; wastes; water temperature; watersheds; Amazonia; Brazil
- ... Many small watersheds and streams in the Brazilian Amazon have been impacted by agriculture and urban development, often due to household economic needs and migration processes. This study examined the relationships between land use, soil type, and household factors on stream water chemistry in and near the city of Altamira, Pará, Brazil, in 2008–2009. While soil weathering and stream discharge ma ...