Jump to Main Content
- Macchi, Leandro; Grau, Héctor Ricardo; Phalan, Ben
- Journal of land use science 2016 v.11 no.2 pp. 188-202
- birds; deforestation; forests; grasslands; habitats; land use; landscapes; meat production; mechanization; soybeans
- ... The South American dry Chaco is a mosaic of woody vegetation and grasslands with high deforestation rates in recent decades. Considering forests and grasslands as the main natural habitats, we assessed the trade-offs between bird populations and agricultural production to compare the potential consequences of different land use strategies (‘sharing’, ‘sparing’, and intermediate) for populations of ...
- Bailey, Karen M.; McCleery, Robert A.; Binford, Michael W.; Zweig, Christa
- Journal of land use science 2016 v.11 no.2 pp. 154-176
- Landsat; agricultural land; biodiversity; conservation areas; deforestation; ecosystems; human settlements; humans; land cover; land use; landscapes; monitoring; shrubs; urbanization; vegetation cover; Africa
- ... The landscape surrounding protected areas influences their ability to maintain ecosystem functions and achieve conservation goals. As anthropogenic intensification continues, it is important to monitor land-use and land-cover change in and around protected areas. We measure land-cover change surrounding protected areas in the Maputaland-Pondoland-Albany Biodiversity hotspot from the 1980s to prese ...