Jump to Main Content
- Molina-Salinas, Gloria María; Uc-Cachón, Andrés Humberto; Peña-Rodríguez, Luis Manuel; Dzul-Beh, Angel de Jesús; Escobedo Gracía-Medrano, Rosa María
- Journal of medicinal food 2019 v.22 no.11 pp. 1183-1185
- Musa; Mycobacterium tuberculosis; air drying; antibacterial properties; cytotoxicity; ethyl acetate; hexane; kidney cells; leaf extracts; leaves; methanol; minimum inhibitory concentration; monkeys; multiple drug resistance; traditional medicine; tuberculosis
- ... Air-dried leaves of a Musa spp. AAB, cv. “Manzano” plant, known as Ja'as in the Maya culture, were sequentially extracted with hexane, ethyl acetate, and methanol; the resulting extracts were investigated for their antimycobacterial activity against susceptible and drug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) using the Microplate Alamar Blue Assay. Both the n-hexane extract (HE) and ...
- PubMed Central:
- Cadiz, Mikaela P.; Schara, Mackenzie R.; Kemp, Bailey H.; Gibbons Johnson, Rachel M.
- Journal of medicinal food 2019 v.22 no.11 pp. 1146-1150
- Echinacea purpurea; concanavalin A; dose response; immune system; immunomodulators; interferon-gamma; interleukin-2; mice; splenocytes; traditional medicine; tumor necrosis factors
- ... Echinacea purpurea is a common herbal remedy used to treat a variety of illnesses, though its health benefits and effects on the immune system have not been fully elucidated. In this study, we investigated the effect of E. purpurea root extract on the survival of concanavalin A (ConA)-activated murine splenocytes and the production of the cytokines interferon-gamma (IFN-γ), interleukin-2 (IL-2), a ...