Jump to Main Content
- Schriefer, Andrew E.; Cliften, Paul F.; Hibberd, Matthew C.; Sawyer, Christopher; Brown-Kennerly, Victoria; Burcea, Lauren; Klotz, Elliott; Crosby, Seth D.; Gordon, Jeffrey I.; Head, Richard D.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2018 v.154 pp. 6-13
- DNA; algorithms; bacterial communities; computer software; genes; germ-free animals; habitats; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; metagenomics; mice; microfluidic technology; phylogeny; polymerase chain reaction; ribosomal RNA
- ... Metagenomic sequencing of bacterial samples has become the gold standard for profiling microbial populations, but 16S rRNA profiling remains widely used due to advantages in sample throughput, cost, and sensitivity even though the approach is hampered by primer bias and lack of specificity. We hypothesized that a hybrid approach, that combined targeted PCR amplification with high-throughput sequen ...
- PubMed Central:
- Staley, Christopher; Sadowsky, Michael J.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2018 v.154 pp. 14-18
- DNA; algorithms; biogeography; bioinformatics; ecosystems; genetic markers; habitats; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; interdisciplinary research; metagenomics; microbial communities; microbiome; microorganisms; research programs; statistical analysis; technology
- ... Recent advancements in metagenomic-based studies, especially analyses of amplicon-based DNA sequencing targeting taxonomic marker genes, has led to an unprecedented characterization of microbial communities from diverse ecosystems around the world. While originally constrained by a lack of appropriate analytical tools and sequencing depth, new technologies and computational and statistical algorit ...