Jump to Main Content
- Schriefer, Andrew E.; Cliften, Paul F.; Hibberd, Matthew C.; Sawyer, Christopher; Brown-Kennerly, Victoria; Burcea, Lauren; Klotz, Elliott; Crosby, Seth D.; Gordon, Jeffrey I.; Head, Richard D.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2018 v.154 pp. 6-13
- DNA; algorithms; bacterial communities; computer software; genes; germ-free animals; habitats; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; metagenomics; mice; microfluidic technology; phylogeny; polymerase chain reaction; ribosomal RNA
- ... Metagenomic sequencing of bacterial samples has become the gold standard for profiling microbial populations, but 16S rRNA profiling remains widely used due to advantages in sample throughput, cost, and sensitivity even though the approach is hampered by primer bias and lack of specificity. We hypothesized that a hybrid approach, that combined targeted PCR amplification with high-throughput sequen ...
- PubMed Central:
- Masters, T.L.; Hilker, C.A.; Jeraldo, P.R.; Bhagwate, A.V.; Greenwood-Quaintance, K.E.; Eckloff, B.W.; Chia, N.; Hanssen, A.D.; Abdel, M.P.; Yao, J.Z.; Jen, J.; Patel, R.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2018 v.154 pp. 55-62
- RNA; bacteria; cDNA libraries; complementary DNA; diagnostic techniques; hosts; infectious diseases; pathogens; sequence analysis; transcriptomics
- ... With the emergence of RNA sequencing technologies, metatranscriptomic studies are rapidly gaining attention as they simultaneously provide insight into gene expression profiles and therefore disease association pathways of microbial pathogens and their hosts. This approach, therefore, holds promise for applicability in infectious disease diagnostics. A challenge of this approach in the clinical se ...
- PubMed Central: