Jump to Main Content
- Janabi, Ali H.D.; Kerkhof, Lee J.; McGuinness, Lora R.; Biddle, Amy S.; McKeever, Kenneth H.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2016 v.129 pp. 14-19
- Bacteroidetes; Clostridium; DNA; chloroform; feces; fume hoods; genes; high-throughput nucleotide sequencing; horses; phenol; rectum; ribosomal RNA; safety equipment; species diversity
- ... There are many choices for methods of extracting bacterial DNA for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) from fecal samples. Here, we compare our modifications of a phenol/chloroform extraction method plus an inhibitor removal solution (C3) (ph/Chl+C3) to the PowerFecal® DNA Isolation Kit (MoBio-K). DNA quality and quantity coupled to NGS results were used to assess differences in relative abundance, S ...
- Gosselin-Théberge, Maxime; Taboada, Eduardo; Guy, Rebecca A.
- Journal of microbiological methods 2016 v.129 pp. 70-77
- Campylobacter; DNA; genes; heat tolerance; nucleotide sequences; quantitative polymerase chain reaction; ribosomal RNA; spectroscopy
- ... Campylobacter is a major public health and economic burden in developed and developing countries. This study evaluated published real-time PCR (qPCR) assays for detection of Campylobacter to enable selection of the best assays for quantification of C. spp. and C. jejuni in environmental water samples. A total of 9 assays were compared: three for thermotolerant C. spp. targeting the 16S rRNA and si ...