Jump to Main Content
- Williams, Paul H.; Cannings, Sydney G.; Sheffield, Cory S.
- Journal of natural history 2016 v.50 no.45-46 pp. 2881-2893
- Bombus; DNA barcoding; color; cytochrome-c oxidase; females; mountains; new species; Alaska; Yukon Territory
- ... It is nearly 90 years since a bumblebee species has been described for the first time from Canada or the USA that was previously unrecognised by science. We describe and illustrate Bombus (Alpinobombus) kluanensis sp. nov. and begin to map its distribution. This species was discovered through analysis of Cytochrome c Oxidase subunit I barcodes and had been unsuspected on the basis of morphological ...
- Prŷs-Jones, Oliver E.; Kristjánsson, Kristján; Ólafsson, Erling
- Journal of natural history 2016 v.50 no.45-46 pp. 2895-2916
- Bombus; DNA barcoding; fauna; greenhouses; insects; islands; pollinators; risk; Iceland
- ... The number of bumblebee species found in Iceland has doubled from three to six in 35 years. This paper considers the colonisation of Iceland by bumblebees; updates information on Bombus (Pyrobombus) jonellus (Kirby), B. (Megabombus) hortorum (L.) and B. (Bombus) lucorum (L.); presents findings for two new colonists, B . (Pyrobombus) hypnorum (L.) and B. (Thoracobombus) pascuorum (Scopoli); and con ...