Jump to Main Content
- Odiere, Maurice R.; Scott, Marilyn E.; Weiler, Hope A.; Koski, Kristine G.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1638-1645
- dietary protein; protein deficiencies; nematode infections; maternal nutrition; pregnancy; lactation; neonates; dams (mothers); mice; animal models; bone mineralization; neonatal development
- ... Using a 2 times 2 factorial design, we investigated the combined impact of protein deficiency (PD) and gastrointestinal nematode infection during late pregnancy and lactation on resting metabolic rate (RMR), body composition and bone mineralization, neonatal growth, and the regulatory hormones [corticosterone, leptin, and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)] and proinflammatory cytokines [interle ...
- Lamarre, Simon G.; Edison, Erica E.; Wijekoon, Enoka P.; Brosnan, Margaret E.; Brosnan, John T.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1570-1573
- suckling; rats; pups; animal models; creatine; biosynthesis; dams (mothers); maternal milk; milk analysis; milk composition; enzyme activity; nutrition physiology
- ... During lactation, there may be a higher need for creatine replacement due to the provision of creatine to the milk. Our objectives were to: 1) quantify the creatine concentration in rat milk; 2) determine the origin of milk creatine; 3) determine the activities of the enzymes of creatine synthesis in lactating rats and pups; and 4) quantify the origin of the creatine that accumulates in rat pups. ...