Jump to Main Content
- Jia, Yong; Hwang, Sun Young; House, James D.; Ogborn, Malcolm R.; Weiler, Hope A.; O, Karmin; Aukema, Harold M.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1646-1652
- long term effects; high protein diet; dietary protein; renal function; kidneys; experimental diets; swine; animal models; adverse effects
- ... Despite evidence of potential antiobesity effects of high-protein (HP) diets, the impact of consuming diets with protein levels at the upper limit of the acceptable macronutrient distribution range (AMDR) on kidney health is unknown. To test whether HP diets affect renal health, whole plant and animal proteins in proportions that mimicked human diets were given to pigs, because their kidneys have ...
- Odiere, Maurice R.; Scott, Marilyn E.; Weiler, Hope A.; Koski, Kristine G.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1638-1645
- dietary protein; protein deficiencies; nematode infections; maternal nutrition; pregnancy; lactation; neonates; dams (mothers); mice; animal models; bone mineralization; neonatal development
- ... Using a 2 times 2 factorial design, we investigated the combined impact of protein deficiency (PD) and gastrointestinal nematode infection during late pregnancy and lactation on resting metabolic rate (RMR), body composition and bone mineralization, neonatal growth, and the regulatory hormones [corticosterone, leptin, and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)] and proinflammatory cytokines [interle ...