Jump to Main Content
- Wu, Xianli; Kang, Jie; Xie, Chenghui; Burris, Ramona; Ferguson, Matthew E.; Badger, Thomas M.; Nagarajan, Shanmugam
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1628-1632
- blueberries; atherosclerosis; protective effect; apolipoproteins; mice; animal models; physiological regulation; protein synthesis; enzyme activity; oxidative stress; lipid peroxidation; biomarkers; experimental diets
- ... Protective effects of blueberries (BB) against atherosclerosis and potential underlying mechanisms in reducing oxidative stress were examined in apoE-deficient (apoE⁻ / ⁻) mice. ApoE⁻ / ⁻ mice were fed an AIN-93G diet (CD) or CD formulated to contain 1% freeze-dried whole BB for 20 wk. The mean lesion area for apoE⁻ / ⁻ mice fed BB was reduced by 39% (P lt 0.001) in the aorta sinus and 58% (P lt 0 ...
- Lamarre, Simon G.; Edison, Erica E.; Wijekoon, Enoka P.; Brosnan, Margaret E.; Brosnan, John T.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1570-1573
- suckling; rats; pups; animal models; creatine; biosynthesis; dams (mothers); maternal milk; milk analysis; milk composition; enzyme activity; nutrition physiology
- ... During lactation, there may be a higher need for creatine replacement due to the provision of creatine to the milk. Our objectives were to: 1) quantify the creatine concentration in rat milk; 2) determine the origin of milk creatine; 3) determine the activities of the enzymes of creatine synthesis in lactating rats and pups; and 4) quantify the origin of the creatine that accumulates in rat pups. ...