Jump to Main Content
- Hooda, Seema; Matte, J. Jacques; Vasanthan, Thavaratnam; Zijlstra, Ruurd T.
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1564-1569
- dietary nutrient sources; oats; beta-glucans; glucose; insulin; secretin; portal vein; swine; animal models; experimental diets; blood sampling; dietary supplements; glucagon-like peptides
- ... Net glucose and SCFA flux and insulin secretion into the portal vein might be associated with the incretins glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). Our objectives were to clarify this association and study the impact of 2 doses of dietary oat β-glucan on the variables. Three 35-kg portal vein-catheterized pigs were fed 3 diets containing 0, 3, or 6% ...
- Jou, Ming-Yu; Philipps, Anthony F.; Lönnerdal, Bo
- Journal of nutrition 2010 v.140 no.9 pp. 1621-1627
- maternal nutrition; zinc; dietary minerals; nutrient deficiencies; rats; animal models; growth and development; progeny; insulin resistance; postnatal development; glucose; carbohydrate metabolism
- ... Interactions among zinc (Zn), insulin, and glucose metabolism are complex. Maternal Zn deficiency affects maternal carbohydrate metabolism, but the mechanisms underlying changes in glucose homeostasis of offspring are not well understood. Rats consumed Zn-deficient (ZnD; 7 mug/g) or control (ZnC; 25 mug/g) diets ad libitum from 3 wk preconception to 21 d postparturition. Litters were culled to 7 p ...