Jump to Main Content
- Zhao, Jin-Ming; Fang, Yun; Lou, Ying-Qiang; Swenson, Jon E.; Sun, Yue-Hua
- Journal of ornithology 2018 v.159 no.4 pp. 1019-1029
- Tetrastes sewerzowi; adults; birds; breeding; brood rearing; chicks; conservation areas; demography; females; habitats; life history; models; nesting sites; predators; prediction; probability; radio telemetry; China
- ... Reproductive activities can incur various costs to breeding individuals in birds. One cost is that reproduction decreases survival probabilities of attendant individuals, which may have a major effect on population demography. During brood rearing, adults of precocial species usually make extensive movements to lead their young to sites with adequate food resources and dense cover. However, few st ...
- Briedis, Martins; Kurlavičius, Petras; Mackevičienė, Renata; Vaišvilienė, Rasa; Hahn, Steffen
- Journal of ornithology 2018 v.159 no.4 pp. 885-891
- Hirundo rustica; autumn; birds; breeding; females; males; migratory behavior; seasonal variation; spring; Caucasus region; Southern Africa; West Asia
- ... Seasonal variation in migratory routes seems to be a common trait among many Afro-Palearctic migrants, but there are only few examples of species or populations which shift between entirely different flyways in autumn and spring. To identify non-breeding regions and seasonal differences in migration strategies we tracked Barn Swallows (Hirundo rustica) from a Baltic breeding population by light-le ...