Jump to Main Content
- Islam, Zahidul; Strutzenberg, Timothy S.; Gurevic, Ilya; Kohen, Amnon
- Journal of the American Chemical Society 2014 v.136 no.28 pp. 9850-9853
- DNA; active sites; antibiotics; arginine; biomimetics; catalysts; catalytic activity; cysteine; drug therapy; drugs; hydrides; isotopes; mutagenesis; thymidylate synthase
- ... Thymidylate synthase (TSase) catalyzes the intracellular de novo formation of thymidylate (a DNA building block) in most living organisms, making it a common target for chemotherapeutic and antibiotic drugs. Two mechanisms have been proposed for the rate-limiting hydride transfer step in TSase catalysis: a stepwise mechanism in which the hydride transfer precedes the cleavage of the covalent bond ...
- PubMed Central:
- Buchsbaum, Steven
F.; Nguyen, Gael; Howorka, Stefan; Siwy, Zuzanna S.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society 2014 v.136 no.28 pp. 9902-9905
- DNA; cell membranes; drugs; membrane potential; nanopores; pH; polymers
- ... Biological channels embedded in cell membranes regulate ionic transport by responding to external stimuli such as pH, voltage, and molecular binding. Mimicking the gating properties of these biological structures would be instrumental in the preparation of smart membranes used in biosensing, drug delivery, and ionic circuit construction. Here we present a new concept for building synthetic nanopor ...