Jump to Main Content
- Elliott, Katherine J.; Vose, James M.; Rankin, Duke
- Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 2014 v.141 no.1 pp. 39-71
- Anemone (plant); Arisaema; Asarum; Goodyera; Hexastylis; Rhododendron; Trillium; acid deposition; air pollution; canopy; climate; cutting; data collection; decision making; demography; drought; environmental factors; forest damage; forest trees; forests; herbaceous plants; herbs; humans; insects; invasive species; land use; life history; logging; managers; pathogens; physiology; species diversity; wind; woodlands; Appalachian region
- ... We synthesized the current information on mesophytic cove forests in the southern Appalachians, assessed the range of variation in herb species composition and diversity in stands with different disturbance histories and environmental conditions, identified key knowledge gaps, and suggested approaches to fill these knowledge gaps. The purpose of this synthesis was to provide information to forest ...
- Marshall, Jordan M.
- Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 2014 v.141 no.1 pp. 29-38
- Cirsium; Stellaria; Tanacetum; correlation; dunes; ecosystems; microhabitats; plant communities; plant density; rare species; rocks; sand; shorelines; soil pH; species diversity; surveys; topography; vegetation cover; Great Lakes
- ... Dune ecosystems along the Great Lakes shoreline provide essential habitat for specialized plant communities and several state and federal listed rare species. I conducted a vegetation survey in Grand Sable Dunes, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, MI, in an effort to investigate the hypothesis that physical dune characteristics influence the distribution of encountered listed species of concern. T ...