Jump to Main Content
- Alvarez‐Ramirez, Jose; Garcia‐Diaz, Samuel; Vernon‐Carter, Eduardo Jaime; Bello‐Perez, Luis Arturo
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2018 v.98 no.12 pp. 4403-4410
- retrogradation, etc ; antistaling agents; commercialization; corn; corn flour; corn starch; enthalpy; firmness; manufacturing; masa; nixtamalization; rheological properties; sensory properties; starch granules; tortillas; water content; water holding capacity; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... BACKGROUND: Staling of maize tortillas is a major drawback affecting their manufacture, commercialization and consumption. The development of methods that may help retard staling of maize tortillas is an ongoing research topic. In this work, a novel, simple, economic and effective method is proposed, based on adding completely gelatinized nixtamalized maize flour (GMF) dispersion to the basic masa ...
- Gu, Xiaotian; Huang, Tianqi; Ding, Mengqiu; Lu, Weiping; Lu, Dalei
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2018 v.98 no.3 pp. 1008-1015
- retrogradation, etc ; Zea mays; acute exposure; amylopectin; binding capacity; corn starch; crystal structure; enthalpy; filling period; gelatinization; gelatinization temperature; heat stress; iodine; pasting properties; pollination; starch granules; swelling (materials); viscosity; waxy corn; China; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... BACKGROUND: Waxy maize (Zea mays L. sinensis Kulesh) suffers short‐term exposure to high temperature during grain filling in southern China. The effects of such exposure are poorly understood. RESULTS: Starch granule size was increased by 5 days' short‐term heat stress (35.0 °C) and the increase was higher when the stress was introduced early. Heat stress increased the iodine binding capacity of s ...