Jump to Main Content
- Siwela, A.H.; Siwela, M.; Matindi, G.; Dube, S.; Nziramasanga, N.
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2005 v.85 no.15 pp. 2535-2538
- corn; aflatoxins; food contamination; microbial contamination; decontamination; hulling; food processing
- ... Dehulling of maize grains as an aflatoxin decontamination method was investigated. Sixty kilograms of maize (whose average moisture content was 110 g kg(-1)) were thoroughly mixed and divided into two samples. The kernel moisture content of one sample was adjusted to 200 g kg(-1) while the other (control) was left at 110 g kg(-1). The two samples were kept at ambient temperature (25-30 degrees C) ...
- Kaaya, A.N.; Warren, H.L.; Kyamanywa, S.; Kyamuhangire, W.
- Journal of the science of food and agriculture 2005 v.85 no.15 pp. 2595-2599
- water content; Zea mays; corn; crop production; harvest date; crop damage; insect pests; microbial contamination; fungi; molds (fungi); aflatoxins; food contamination; Uganda
- ... Field drying is a traditional practice carried out by farmers in Uganda and it is one of those practices reported to affect the postharvest quality of maize. A study was therefore conducted to establish the effects of delayed harvest on moisture content, insect damage, moulds and aflatoxin contamination of maize in Mayuge district. Sixteen farmers were selected from Bayitambogwe sub-county, eight ...