Jump to Main Content
- Garzon‐Lopez, Carol X.; Jansen, Patrick A.; Bohlman, Stephanie A.; Ordonez, Alejandro; Olff, Han; Scheiner, Sam
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 349-362
- biogeography; community structure; environmental factors; habitats; islands; topography; trees; tropical forests; Panama
- ... QUESTIONS: Niche differentiation is a central explanation for the co‐existence and distribution patterns of numerous tree species in tropical forests, but functional equivalence leading to neutral dynamics has been proposed as an alternative explanation. This niche vs neutral debate is fuelled by the highly variable results yielded by studies of the association between tree species distributions a ...
- Chase, Jonathan M.
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 319-322
- ecology; forests; islands; trees; Panama
- ... The 50‐ha long‐term forest plot on Barro Colorado Island in Panama was ‘ground zero’ for the development of ecology's ‘neutral theory’ and comparisons with its ‘niche theory’ counterpart. In this issue, Garzon‐Lopez and colleagues used tree distributions at this site to recast the unresolved (and unresolvable) debate to show that observational scale drives the perception of which processes predomi ...