Jump to Main Content
- Schmalholz, Martin; Granath, Gustaf; Halvorsen, Rune
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 439-446
- Betula; Picea; Rhytidiadelphus; canopy; conifer needles; conifers; forest litter; forests; growing season; microhabitats; mortality; mosses and liverworts; trees; Sweden
- ... QUESTIONS: Do mortality rates of boreal bryophytes associated with leaf litter burial vary with degree of shelter on forest floor microsites in spruce‐dominated forests? Do erect and prostrate species respond similarly? What is the relative importance of deciduous leaves (from aspen and birch) vs conifer needles as bryophyte mortality agents? LOCATION: Boreal spruce forests of central Sweden. METH ...
- Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Bradford, John B.; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar; Jönsson, Mari; Esseen, Per‐Anders; Turnbull, Lindsay
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 374-385
- tree growth; kriging; inventories; linear models; boreal forests; regression analysis; Picea abies; trees; dendrochronology; stand basal area; tree mortality; mortality; prediction; Sweden
- ... QUESTION: What factors best characterize tree competitive environments in this structurally diverse old‐growth forest, and do these factors vary spatially within and among stands? LOCATION: Old‐growth Picea abies forest of boreal Sweden. METHODS: Using long‐term, mapped permanent plot data augmented with dendrochronological analyses, we evaluated the effect of neighbourhood competition on focal tr ...