Jump to Main Content
- Garzon‐Lopez, Carol X.; Jansen, Patrick A.; Bohlman, Stephanie A.; Ordonez, Alejandro; Olff, Han; Scheiner, Sam
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 349-362
- biogeography; community structure; environmental factors; habitats; islands; topography; trees; tropical forests; Panama
- ... QUESTIONS: Niche differentiation is a central explanation for the co‐existence and distribution patterns of numerous tree species in tropical forests, but functional equivalence leading to neutral dynamics has been proposed as an alternative explanation. This niche vs neutral debate is fuelled by the highly variable results yielded by studies of the association between tree species distributions a ...
- Stevens, Nicola; Swemmer, Anthony M.; Ezzy, Leanne; Erasmus, Barend F.N.; Ward, David
- Journal of vegetation science 2014 v.25 no.2 pp. 363-373
- Colophospermum mopane; biogeography; climate; climate change; dry season; environmental models; keystone species; landscapes; national parks; photoperiod; prediction; savannas; temperature; trees; woody plants; South Africa
- ... QUESTIONS: Early bioclimatic models predict that climate change in southern African savannas will cause a huge southward and westward range shift of the savanna tree Colophospermum mopane (Kirk ex Benth.) Kirk ex J.Léon. C. mopane is an economically and ecologically important subtropical savanna tree that forms mono‐dominant stands across 30% of southern African savannas. We investigate the validi ...