Jump to Main Content
- Grigsby, Warren; Thumm, Armin; Carpenter, James
- Journal of wood chemistry and technology 2012 v.32 no.2 pp. 149-164
- cold; contact angle; dimensional stability; hydrophilicity; hydrophobicity; medium density fiberboards; resins; urea formaldehyde; water content; water uptake
- ... The inherent resin and fiber chemistry of medium density fiberboard (MDF) panels has been compared with panel cold water soak properties. In hot-pressed panels it was observed that resin type and hydrophobicity significantly impact panel swell behavior. Resin affects both fiber hydrophobicity and equilibrium moisture content (EMC), but does not prevent water uptake. It is the influence of resin ty ...
- Salla, Jayashree; Pandey, Krishna K.; Prakash, G. K.; Mahadevan, K. M.
- Journal of wood chemistry and technology 2012 v.32 no.2 pp. 121-136
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; carbon; chlorides; color; crystal structure; dimensional stability; esterification; fatty acids; hydrophilicity; hydrophobicity; irradiation; nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy; photobleaching; rubber; spectral analysis; wood
- ... Rubber wood was esterfied with the fatty acid chlorides (hexanoyl (C₆), decanoyl (C₁₀) and tetradecanoyl (C₁₄) chloride), and the dimensional stability and photo-stability of the modified wood was evaluated. ¹³C NMR and FTIR spectral analysis of modified wood indicated formation of an ester. ¹³C NMR spectra of modified wood showed that esterification reduced the crystallinity of wood. Modification ...