Jump to Main Content
- Çetin, Nazmi; Çetin, Ebru; Toker, Melahat
- Laboratory animals 2005 v.39 no.1 pp. 100-106
- guinea pigs; anesthesia; echocardiography; body weight; normal values
- ... Echocardiographic parameters were recorded, measured and statistically analysed on a population of 12 male Hartley albino guineapigs under ketamine–xylazine anaesthesia. Additionally, the effect of body weight on these parameters and the correlation between the parameters were assessed. The mean values of left ventricular internal diameter in end diastole (LVIDD), left ventricular internal diamete ...
- Spangenberg, E.M.F.; Augustsson, H.; Dahlborn, K.; Essén-Gustavsson, B.; Cvek, K.
- Laboratory animals 2005 v.39 no.1 pp. 45-57
- laboratory animals; physical activity; cages; pens; animal behavior; body weight; animal welfare
- ... The cage systems commonly used for housing laboratory rats often result in sedentary and overweight animals, as a consequence of restricted opportunities for physical activity combined with ad libitum feeding. This can have implications both for animal well-being and for the experimental outcome. Physical activity has several known positive effects on health and lifespan, and physical fitness migh ...