Jump to Main Content
- Milianta, Peter
J.; Muzzio, Michelle; Denver, Jacqueline; Cawley, Geoffrey; Lee, Sunghee
- Langmuir 2015 v.31 no.44 pp. 12187-12196
- activation energy; asymmetry; cell membranes; cholesterol; droplets; engineering; hydrophobicity; lipid composition; models; moieties; permeability; sulfates
- ... Cellular membranes employ a variety of strategies for controlling the flow of small molecules into the cytoplasmic space, including incorporation of sterols for modulation of permeability and maintenance of lipid asymmetry to provide both sides of the membrane with differing biophysical properties. The specific case of cholesterol asymmetry, especially, is known to have profound effects in neurolo ...
- Niinivaara, Elina; Faustini, Marco; Tammelin, Tekla; Kontturi, Eero
- Langmuir 2015 v.31 no.44 pp. 12170-12176
- adsorption; cellulose; nanocrystals; quantitative analysis; quartz crystal microbalance; relative humidity; spectroscopy; water vapor
- ... Despite the relevance of water interactions, explicit analysis of vapor adsorption on biologically derived surfaces is often difficult. Here, a system was introduced to study the vapor uptake on a native polysaccharide surface; namely, cellulose nanocrystal (CNC) ultrathin films were examined with a quartz crystal microbalance with dissipation monitoring (QCM-D) and spectroscopic ellipsometry (SE) ...