Jump to Main Content
- Maldonado, Mara A.; Manara, Enzo; Martín, Pablo R.
- Limnologica 2019 pp. 125694
- Biomphalaria; Chironomidae; Ephemeroptera; Hirudinea; Melanoides tuberculatus; Odonata; Pomacea canaliculata; biomass; detritus; ecoregions; foraging; freshwater; freshwater ecosystems; grazing; macroinvertebrates; macrophytes; microhabitats; nymphs; sediments; snails; surface water; trophic levels
- ... Macroinvertebrates represent an important component of communities and trophic webs of freshwater ecosystems. Pomacea canaliculata (family Ampullariidae), an invasive apple snail native to the Pampas ecoregion, acts as a voracious grazer and plays a structuring role on submerged macrophytes that serve as food, habitat or foraging ground for many macroinvertebrates. Laboratory studies show that P. ...
- Nandini, S.; Sarma, S.S.S.
- Limnologica 2019 pp. 125693
- Chlorella vulgaris; Platyhelminthes; Rotifera; eggs; females; invertebrates; longevity; population growth; predators; rivers; water hardness; Mexico
- ... We have been culturing a species of Euchlanis cf. mikropous isolated from a river in Mexico. This species frequently loses its toes, which then reappear in successive generations. We studied the population dynamics of this species at different food levels of Chlorella vulgaris (0.25 × 106, 0.5 × 106 and 1.0 × 106 cells ml-1) and in the direct and indirect presence of the invertebrate predators Ste ...