Jump to Main Content
- Grobler, R.; Visser, C.; Capitan, A.; van Marle-Köster, E.
- Livestock science 2018 v.217 pp. 136-139
- beef cattle, etc ; Bonsmara; Hereford; alleles; beef production; breeding; farms; feedlots; heterozygosity; homozygosity; mutation; phenotype; polymerase chain reaction; screening; South Africa; Show all 15 Subjects
- ... An increased awareness of animal welfare necessitates the breeding of genetically polled animals, especially since more than 70% of South African beef cattle are rounded off in commercial feedlots. The Bonsmara and the Drakensberger, two locally developed breeds, play a major role in beef production in South Africa. The causative mutation for polledness in these breeds have not been confirmed, the ...
- Polizel, Guilherme Henrique Gebim; Grigoletto, Lais; Carvalho, Minos Esperândio; Rossi Junior, Paulo; Ferraz, José Bento Sterman; Santana, Miguel Henrique de Almeida
- Livestock science 2018 v.214 pp. 209-210
- beef cattle, etc ; Nellore; average daily gain; breeding programs; dry matter intake; feed conversion; feedlots; females; genetic correlation; heritability; males; pedigree; phenotype; weight gain; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... The objective of this study was to estimate genetic parameters and correlations for intake, feed efficiency and weight gain in beef cattle. Phenotypic data of average daily gain (ADG), dry matter intake (DMI), feed conversion ratio (FCR) and residual feed intake (RFI) calculated from 2,058 male and female Nellore cattle were used. The genetic parameters and heritability estimates were estimated us ...