Jump to Main Content
- Bierhals, T., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Livestock science 2012 v.146 no.2-3 pp. 115-122
- farrowing; farrowing rate; feed intake; lactation; litter size; litter weight; piglets; sows; weaning
- ... The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of piglet weight and variation in weight at cross-fostering on piglet and sow performance. Primiparous sows were allocated in three groups: group A (n=31)—litters with 14 Light piglets (1.0–1.2kg); group B (n=32)—litters with seven Light piglets and seven Intermediate piglets (1.4–1.6kg), and group C (n=31)—litters with 14 Intermediate piglet ...
- Bierhals, T., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Livestock science 2012 v.150 no.1-3 pp. 121-127
- adverse effects; birth weight; cages; commercial farms; creep feeding; farrowing; growth performance; litter size; milk ejection; piglets; survival rate; teats; vocalization; weaning
- ... Cross-fostering is the transference of piglets to equalise litter size according to the birth weight. In many commercial farms piglets are usually grouped in litters with 100% adopted piglets. The aim of the experiment was to assess the behaviour of piglets during the suckling period as well as to assess their performance and mortality rate up to weaning in litters with different composition in te ...