Jump to Main Content
- Preston, Robert E.; Arthur, Aaron; Smith, Doreen; Schusteff, Aaron
- Madroño 2019 v.66 no.1 pp. 24-29
- Streptanthus glandulosus; new species; serpentine; serpentine soils; California
- ... Streptanthus anomalus D.L.Smith, A.Arthur, & R.E.Preston is a newly described species growing on serpentine soils in the vicinity of Mount Burdell in Marin County, CA. Floral morphology and other characters indicate that this taxon is most closely related to the S. glandulosus complex, but the bracted inflorescence is unlike that found in any other member of that complex. This very rare serpentine ...
- Russell, Will; Lambert, Zuhayl; Woolhouse, Suzie
- Madroño 2019 v.66 no.1 pp. 14-23
- Sequoia sempervirens; calcium; cation exchange capacity; coasts; ecotones; epiphytes; forest soils; nutrient availability; old-growth forests; pH; potassium; pygmy forests; regression analysis; shrubs; sodium; soil quality; stand structure; tree height; trees
- ... Old-growth Sequoia sempervirens (D. Don) Endl. (Cupressaceae) forests are commonly assumed to be populated by massive trees, but those growing on nutrient poor soils can be stunted and display unusual growth-forms. We characterized soils, stand structure, growth form, and crown complexity using a combination of random and targeted stratified sampling across an old-growth redwood/pygmy forest ecoto ...