Jump to Main Content
- Christy, John A; McCain, Cynthia N; Greene, Sarah E; Lippert, Jennifer D
- Madroño 2014 v.61 no.2 pp. 201-217
- Carex; Polytrichum; Tsuga mertensiana; Vaccinium uliginosum; ecotones; fire damage; forbs; forests; grasses; highlands; mosses and liverworts; shrubs; soil crusts; swamps; wildfires; Cascade Mountain region; Oregon
- ... The stand-replacing Charlton, OR wildfire of 1996 burned several vegetation transects established before the fire, providing an opportunity to document recovery in one upland and five wetland vegetation zones over a 12-year period. Total mean percent cover of vegetation recovered to about 48% of pre-burn levels by year 12. Total cover increased slightly in Carex fen, but decreased in the other fiv ...
- Thomsen, Meredith A; D'Antonio, Carla M
- Madroño 2014 v.61 no.2 pp. 218-226
- Bromus; Calamagrostis nutkaensis; Festuca rubra; Holcus lanatus; Piper; cages; canopy; disturbed soils; gophers; grasses; indigenous species; invasive species; leaves; perennials; photosynthetically active radiation; plant establishment; seedlings; soil water; California
- ... Disturbance often has the net effect of promoting invasive plant establishment, but the precise nature of the relationship between disturbance and invasion can depend on community context. We used simulated gopher mounds in bare and monoculture plots of three California native grasses (Bromus carinatus var. maritimus [Piper] C. L. Hitch., Festuca rubra L., and Calamagrostis nutkaensis [J. Presl] S ...