Jump to Main Content
- Hiroaki Saito; Hiroshi Hashimoto; Teruaki Hino; Masaharu Motokawa
- Mammal study 2019 v.44 no.1 pp. 1-11
- concrete; dams (hydrology); rivers; sediments; shrews; streams; surveys; Japan
- ... The concrete walls of check dams are considered a physical barrier for aquatic and semiaquatic animals that inhabit mountain streams. Traveling behaviors around concrete check dams by the Japanese water shrew Chimarrogale platycephalus, a semi-aquatic mammal, were directly observed via radio-tracking in Kamikoshi Stream in central Honshu, Japan. Traveling behaviors were mainly observed on the wet ...
- Jadab Kumar Biswas; Masaharu Motokawa
- Mammal study 2019 v.44 no.1 pp. 51-63
- Apodemus speciosus; allometry; discriminant analysis; females; males; mice; multivariate analysis; ontogeny; sexual dimorphism; skull; standard deviation
- ... Static skull morphological variation in the large Japanese field mouse (Apodemus speciosus) was analyzed using different indices of variability. Multivariate analysis of variance revealed sexual dimorphism in cranium and mandible sizes, among a total of 89 skulls (45 males and 44 females). The coefficient of variation (CV), standard deviation (SD), and residuals of the standard deviation (RSD) wer ...