Jump to Main Content
- Kibichii, Samuel; Feeley, Hugh B.; Baars, Jan-Robert; Kelly-Quinn, Mary
- Marine & freshwater research 2015 v.66 no.9 pp. 805-814
- Ephemeroptera, etc ; Plecoptera; Trichoptera; agricultural watersheds; ecosystems; fauna; gravel; habitats; invertebrates; nitrates; rivers; water pollution; water quality; Ireland; Show all 14 Subjects
- ... Despite knowing that agricultural practices affect river ecosystems, studies on water quality and associated hyporheic invertebrate communities are rare. Yet such knowledge is essential for sustainable use of agricultural and water resources. This study, carried out in the agricultural region of south-eastern Ireland in Spring 2007, examined the effect of water pollution on hyporheic fauna. Six ri ...
- Marchant, R.; Grant, T. R.
- Marine & freshwater research 2015 v.66 no.12 pp. 1128-1137
- Ephemeroptera, etc ; Chironomidae; Coleoptera; Odonata; Ornithorhynchus; Sphaeriidae; Trichoptera; benthic organisms; diet; energy; foraging; habitats; landscapes; macroinvertebrates; pouches; rivers; New South Wales; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... The platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) feeds almost exclusively on benthic macroinvertebrates, yet no attempt has been made to link its energy demands with the productivity of its benthic macroinvertebrate prey. In the upper Shoalhaven River, New South Wales, we estimated macroinvertebrate production (in 2009 and 2011) from benthic samples and recorded platypus diet (2009 only) from cheek pouch s ...