Jump to Main Content
- Santos, Hersília A.; Duarte, Bernardo; Pinheiro, Abgail; Cruz, Deborah; Souza, Guilherme
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1962-1973
- Pimelodus; Prochilodus; dynamic models; fish; fisheries; hydrodynamics; rivers; spillways; swimming; turbines; water power; Brazil
- ... Hydropower plant (HPP) operation may influence downstream flow regimes, which can affect the fish movement. In South America, tailrace fisheries are often killed or injured when interacting with spillways and turbines. Hydrodynamic flow-pattern studies are essential to facilitate mitigation. We developed a computational fluid dynamics model to investigate flow downstream of Três Marias HPP (Brazil ...
- Amaral, Stephen V.; Coleman, Benjamin S.; Rackovan, Jenna L.; Withers, Kelly; Mater, Benjamin
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1870-1881
- dams (hydrology); fish; fish communities; fluid mechanics; habitats; migratory behavior; probability; spillways; survival rate; water power; Mississippi River; United States
- ... Hydropower dams can negatively affect upstream and downstream migratory fish populations in many ways, such as blocking access to upstream habitats and causing injuries or mortality during downstream passage. For downstream passage at projects in the USA, federal regulators and agencies responsible for oversight of hydropower facilities typically require assessment studies and mitigation to addres ...