Jump to Main Content
- Santos, Hersília A.; Duarte, Bernardo; Pinheiro, Abgail; Cruz, Deborah; Souza, Guilherme
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1962-1973
- Pimelodus; Prochilodus; dynamic models; fish; fisheries; hydrodynamics; rivers; spillways; swimming; turbines; water power; Brazil
- ... Hydropower plant (HPP) operation may influence downstream flow regimes, which can affect the fish movement. In South America, tailrace fisheries are often killed or injured when interacting with spillways and turbines. Hydrodynamic flow-pattern studies are essential to facilitate mitigation. We developed a computational fluid dynamics model to investigate flow downstream of Três Marias HPP (Brazil ...
- Boys, Craig A.; Pflugrath, Brett D.; Mueller, Melanie; Pander, Joachim; Deng, Zhiqun D.; Geist, Juergen
- Marine & freshwater research 2018 v.69 no.12 pp. 1934-1944
- atmospheric pressure; blades; data collection; fish; risk; turbines; water power
- ... Knowing the kinds of physical stress experienced by fish passing through hydropower turbines can help optimise technologies and improve fish passage. This paper assesses the hydraulic conditions experienced through three different low-head turbines (a very low head (VLH), Archimedes screw and horizontal Kaplan turbine), taken using an autonomous sensor. In total, 127 Sensor Fish deployments were u ...