Jump to Main Content
- Furtado, Plínio S.; Gaona, Carlos A. P.; Serra, Fabiane P.; Poersch, Luis H.; Wasielesky, Wilson
- Marine and freshwater behaviour and physiology 2017 v.50 no.4 pp. 293-301
- dissolved carbon dioxide; transportation; acute toxicity; Litopenaeus vannamei; pH; fish; shrimp; lethal concentration 50; mortality; juveniles
- ... Elevated concentrations of dissolved carbon dioxide (CO₂) and reduced pH levels are observed during the culture and transportation of aquatic organisms. Studies on the toxicity effects of CO₂ in penaeid shrimp are scarce when compared to the amount of research in fish. The objective of the present study was to determine the lethal concentration and safety levels of CO₂ for juvenile white shrimp Li ...
- Gutierre, Silvia M. M.; Schulte, Jessica M.; Schofield, Pamela J.; Prodocimo, Viviane
- Marine and freshwater behaviour and physiology 2017 v.50 no.4 pp. 303-311
- Astronotus; distress; fish; freshwater; muscles; osmolality; osmoregulation; salinity; salt stress
- ... Specimens of Oscar Astronotus ocellatus from a fish farm were abruptly submitted to salt stress of 14 ppt and 20 ppt, for 3 and 8 h to determine their plasma osmolality. Muscle wet body mass change in vitro was analyzed from control freshwater animals. Fish in 14 ppt presented no osmolality distress even after 8 h. In 20 ppt, a slight increase (10%) in plasma osmolality was observed for both times ...