Jump to Main Content
- Maboloc, Elizaldy A.; Villanueva, Ronald D.
- Marine and freshwater behaviour and physiology 2017 v.50 no.4 pp. 273-284
- Cardiidae; Tridacna gigas; cell respiration; clams; coral reefs; juveniles; mortality; osmotic stress; photosynthesis; salinity; symbiosis
- ... Giant clams are in symbiotic relationship with the photosynthesizing zooxanthellae and dwell in the shallow coral reefs of the Indo-Pacific region where they may be exposed to fluctuating salinities during high levels of precipitation. This study evaluated the effects of reduced salinities (18, 25, and 35‰ as control) on the rates of photosynthesis and respiration in juvenile Tridacna gigas for 14 ...
- Gutierre, Silvia M. M.; Schulte, Jessica M.; Schofield, Pamela J.; Prodocimo, Viviane
- Marine and freshwater behaviour and physiology 2017 v.50 no.4 pp. 303-311
- Astronotus; distress; fish; freshwater; muscles; osmolality; osmoregulation; salinity; salt stress
- ... Specimens of Oscar Astronotus ocellatus from a fish farm were abruptly submitted to salt stress of 14 ppt and 20 ppt, for 3 and 8 h to determine their plasma osmolality. Muscle wet body mass change in vitro was analyzed from control freshwater animals. Fish in 14 ppt presented no osmolality distress even after 8 h. In 20 ppt, a slight increase (10%) in plasma osmolality was observed for both times ...