Jump to Main Content
- Lubinevsky, Hadas; Hyams-Kaphzan, Orit; Almogi-Labin, Ahuva; Silverman, Jacob; Harlavan, Yehudit; Crouvi, Onn; Herut, Barak; Kanari, Mor; Tom, Moshe
- Marine biology 2017 v.164 no.2 pp. 36
- basins; biotopes; fauna; geometry; sediments; species diversity; Mediterranean Sea
- ... The present study sought to quantify the infauna and environmental characteristics of the deep SE Levantine Basin, Mediterranean Sea (33.4–31.7 N, 31.3–34.9E; 100–1900 m water depth). Box corer samples were collected at 50 sites in June–July 2013. The infauna (>250 μm) were enumerated and identified to the lowest possible taxonomic level (~37 % to the species level). Three faunal assemblages were ...
- Castro-Sanguino, Carolina; Lovelock, Catherine; Mumby, Peter J.
- Marine biology 2017 v.164 no.2 pp. 37
- Halimeda; algae; canopy; coral reefs; corals; fish; herbivores; nutrients; oceans; overstory; refuge habitats; sediments; solar radiation; summer; winter
- ... Herbivores greatly influence the productivity of algae but their impact can depend on the nuances of the timing, location, and intensity of herbivory. While plants can escape herbivory in spatial refugia, small-scale variations in habitat quality play a critical role in plant tolerance to herbivory and might generate complex trade-offs. On coral reefs, overstory branching corals provide a refuge f ...