Jump to Main Content
- Casas-Monroy, Oscar; Parenteau, Marie; Drake, D. Andrew R.; Roy, Suzanne; Rochon, André
- Marine biology 2016 v.163 no.8 pp. 174
- Miozoa; ballast water; coasts; marine ecosystems; probability distribution; shipping; tanks; uncertainty; water management; Canada
- ... Estimates of propagule pressure in invasion biology are often unavailable due to widespread use of proxy variables, leading to uncertainty in absolute introduction effort of marine non-indigenous species (NIS). We present a first estimate of absolute propagule pressure (probability distributions of the total number of individuals introduced per release event and per year) for viable non-indigenous ...
- Lutz-Collins, Vanessa; Cox, Ruth; Quijón, Pedro A.
- Marine biology 2016 v.163 no.8 pp. 177
- Carcinus maenas; community structure; crabs; fauna; foraging; habitat destruction; habitats; landscapes; sediments; Canada
- ... While digging and foraging, the non-indigenous green crab (Carcinus maenas) creates a landscape of distinctive pits or depressions in the sediment. Despite their visibility and widespread occurrence in Atlantic Canada and elsewhere, the community influence and persistence of this disturbance remain undocumented. This study addressed this gap in our knowledge using two approaches. First, in both sa ...