Jump to Main Content
- Tayengwa, Tawanda; Chikwanha, Obert C.; Gouws, Pieter; Dugan, Michael E.R.; Mutsvangwa, Timothy; Mapiye, Cletos
- Meat science 2020 v.162 pp. 108029
- Angus; antioxidant activity; beef; beef cattle; biopreservatives; body weight; cattle finishing; citrus pulp; coliform bacteria; diet; grape pomace; lipids; longissimus muscle; microbial load; oxidation; packaging; shelf life; slaughter; steers; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances
- ... The shelf-life of beef was compared from 7-months old Angus steers (281 ± 15.4 kg initial body weight) fed 150 g/kg DM dried citrus pulp (DCP) or grape pomace (DGP) for 90 days. The antioxidant activity, bacterial load, and lipid and protein oxidation were evaluated on the longissimus lumborum subjected to air-permeable packaging at days 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 post-slaughter. Beef antioxidant activity w ...
- Wang, Zefu; He, Zhifei; Zhang, Dong; Li, Hongjun; Wang, Zhaoming
- Meat science 2020 v.162 pp. 108042
- activation energy; color; equations; frozen storage; kinetics; lipids; meat quality; model validation; oxidation; pH; rabbit meat; storage temperature; storage time; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances; total volatile basic nitrogen
- ... This study explored the effects of temperature on the behavior of lipid and protein oxidation in rabbit meat, and also investigated the quality indices of rabbit meat under different storage temperatures. We developed kinetic models of select quality indices such as total aerobic count (TAC), thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS), and total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N). Data on meat q ...