Jump to Main Content
- Tawanda Tayengwa; Obert C. Chikwanha; Pieter Gouws; Michael E.R. Dugan; Timothy Mutsvangwa; Cletos Mapiye
- Meat science 2020 v.162 pp. 108029
- Angus; antioxidant activity; beef; beef cattle; biopreservatives; body weight; cattle finishing; citrus pulp; coliform bacteria; diet; grape pomace; lipids; longissimus muscle; microbial load; oxidation; packaging; shelf life; slaughter; steers; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances
- ... The shelf-life of beef was compared from 7-months old Angus steers (281 ± 15.4 kg initial body weight) fed 150 g/kg DM dried citrus pulp (DCP) or grape pomace (DGP) for 90 days. The antioxidant activity, bacterial load, and lipid and protein oxidation were evaluated on the longissimus lumborum subjected to air-permeable packaging at days 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 post-slaughter. Beef antioxidant activity w ...
- Tawanda Tayengwa; Obert C. Chikwanha; Michael E.R. Dugan; Timothy Mutsvangwa; Cletos Mapiye
- Meat science 2020 v.161 pp. 107969
- Angus; average daily gain; beef cattle; beef production; body weight; byproducts; carcass quality; carcass weight; citrus pulp; cold; dietary fiber; dry matter intake; economic sustainability; feed prices; feedlots; fruits; grape pomace; growth performance; income; meat quality; steers; wheat bran
- ... The current study compared the growth performance, carcass and meat quality effects of feeding 150 g/kg DM of dried citrus pulp (DCP) or grape pomace (DGP) as alternative dietary fibre sources to 7 months-old Angus steers for 90d. Twenty-four steers were assigned to three dietary treatments (8 steers/treatment) in completely randomised design. Each steer was treated as an experimental unit. Feedin ...