Jump to Main Content
- Tayengwa, Tawanda; Chikwanha, Obert C.; Gouws, Pieter; Dugan, Michael E.R.; Mutsvangwa, Timothy; Mapiye, Cletos
- Meat science 2020 v.162 pp. 108029
- Angus; antioxidant activity; beef; beef cattle; biopreservatives; body weight; cattle finishing; citrus pulp; coliform bacteria; diet; grape pomace; lipids; longissimus muscle; microbial load; oxidation; packaging; shelf life; slaughter; steers; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances
- ... The shelf-life of beef was compared from 7-months old Angus steers (281 ± 15.4 kg initial body weight) fed 150 g/kg DM dried citrus pulp (DCP) or grape pomace (DGP) for 90 days. The antioxidant activity, bacterial load, and lipid and protein oxidation were evaluated on the longissimus lumborum subjected to air-permeable packaging at days 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 post-slaughter. Beef antioxidant activity w ...
- Lu, Xiao; Cornforth, Daren P.; Carpenter, Charles E.; Zhu, Lixian; Luo, Xin
- Meat science 2020 v.161 pp. 107999
- beef; beef carcasses; carbon dioxide; color; dark cutting meat; discoloration; lipid peroxidation; longissimus muscle; modified atmosphere packaging; nitrogen; oxygen; pH; slaughterhouses; steaks; thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances
- ... The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) with different oxygen concentrations on color changes of dark-cutting beef steaks from M. longissimus thoraces et lumborum. Four normal-pH (mean pH = 5.52) and four dark-cutting beef carcasses (mean pH = 6.36) were obtained from a commercial abattoir at 48 h post-mortem. The gas compositions in MAP wer ...