Jump to Main Content
- Steelman, C.D.; Brown, M.A.; Gbur, E.E.; Tolley, G.
- Medical and veterinary entomology 1997 v.11 no.3 pp. 257-264
- sebum, etc ; beef cattle; Haematobia irritans; population density; density; skin; pest resistance; breed differences; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... We show the relationships that exist between the amount of hair and quantity of sebum on cattle skin and the population density of the horn fly, Haematobia irritans. Brahman and Chianina steers had means of 2390 and 1587 hairs per cm2, respectively, significantly more than the mean number of hairs on Angus, Brahman x Angus Crossbred, Charolais, and Red Poll steers. The Chianina steers had >30% mor ...
- Warnes, M.L.
- Medical and veterinary entomology 1995 v.9 no.3 pp. 284-288
- sebum, etc ; cattle; Glossina pallidipes; Glossina morsitans morsitans; disease vectors; skin; behavior; Zimbabwe; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... The effect of ox skin secretions (sebum) on the behaviour of tsetse flies, Glossina spp., was investigated in the field using electrified targets, some of which operated intermittently, and by direct observations of flies landing on treated and untreated cloth. As the off-period of an intermittently operating electrified target increased, the catch decreased both with and without the sebum present ...