Jump to Main Content
- Philippsen, Gisele S.; DeMarco, Ricardo
- Molecular and biochemical parasitology 2019 v.228 pp. 27-31
- Schistosoma mansoni; evolution; humans; introns; parasites; proteome; schistosomiasis; transposons
- ... The parasites belonging to the genus Schistosoma are agents of schistosomiasis, a disease estimated as affecting 235 million people in the world. To better understand the structure of Schistosoma mansoni genome, transposable elements (TEs) distribution and impact on gene structures were investigated. Our analyses indicated a differential distribution of TEs throughout the gene structure. Introns l ...
- Sanchez, Melissa C.; Cupit, Pauline M.; Bu, Lijing; Cunningham, Charles
- Molecular and biochemical parasitology 2019 v.228 pp. 6-15
- Schistosoma haematobium; Schistosoma mansoni; drug resistance; drugs; epistasis; females; genes; lethal dose; males; messenger RNA; mice; mutation; praziquantel; schistosomiasis; sex ratio; transcriptome; transcriptomics; Africa
- ... Schistosomiasis is an intravascular parasitic infection estimated to affect over 206 million people, the majority of whom live in Africa where the trematode worms Schistosoma mansoni and Schistosoma haematobium are the major causative agents. While a number of drugs have been used to treat schistosomiasis, praziquantel (PZQ) is the only one that is widely available, relatively cheap, and easy to u ...