Jump to Main Content
- Westfall, James A.
- Northern journal of applied forestry 2008 v.25 no.4 pp. 195
- forest trees; volume; tree and stand measurements; accuracy; estimation; forest inventory; equations
- ... Individual-tree volumes are primarily predicted using volume equations that rely on measured tree attributes. In the northeastern United States, the Forest Inventory and Analysis program determines tree volume using dbh, bole height, proportion of cull, and species information. These measurements are subject to variability due to a host of factors. The sensitivity of the volume equations were asse ...
- Bragg, Don C.
- Northern journal of applied forestry 2008 v.25 no.4 pp. 186
- forest trees; height; prediction; estimation; Pinus strobus; data analysis; basal area; measurement; accuracy; nonlinear models; allometry; equations; tree and stand measurements; elite trees
- ... By adapting data from national and state champion lists and the predictions of an existing height model, an exponential function was developed to improve tree height estimation. As a case study, comparisons between the original and redesigned model were made with eastern white pine (Pinus strobus L.). For example, the heights predicted by the new design varied by centimeters from the original unti ...