Jump to Main Content
- Westfall, James A.
- Northern journal of applied forestry 2010 v.27 no.1 pp. 21
- stumps, etc ; tree and stand measurements; prediction; models; forest trees; equations; estimation; Show all 7 Subjects
- ... Models to predict dbh from stump dimensions are presented for 18 species groups. Data used to fit the models were collected across thirteen states in the northeastern United States. Primarily because of the presence of multiple measurements from each tree, a mixed-effects modeling approach was used to account for the lack of independence among observations. The heterogeneous error variance was des ...
- Deluca, Travis; Fajvan, Mary Ann; Miller, Gary
- Northern journal of applied forestry 2009 v.26 no.2 pp. 52
- stumps, etc ; forest management; sustainable forestry; natural regeneration; crop residue management; forest trees; diameter; hardwood forests; Prunus serotina; Acer rubrum; Betula nigra; tree growth; shade tolerance; forest canopy; overstory; canopy gaps; light intensity; basal area; West Virginia; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... Ten-years after diameter-limit harvesting in an Appalachian hardwood stand, the height, dbh, and basal area of sapling regeneration was inversely related to the degree of “overtopping” of residual trees. Black cherry and red maple were the most abundant saplings with 416.5 ± 25.7 and 152.9 ± 16.8 stems per acre, respectively. Models of black cherry height and diameter showed significant negative r ...