Jump to Main Content
- Milne, David B.; Davis, Cindy D.; Nielsen, Forrest H.
- Nutrition 2001 v.17 no.9 pp. 701
- women; nutritional status; zinc; nutrient deficiencies; dietary minerals; copper; menopause; oxidative stress; ferroxidase; cytochrome-c oxidase; superoxide dismutase; cholesterol; blood lipids; blood serum; glutathione
- ... OBJECTIVES: To better define the relationship between dietary zinc and copper for humans so that sound recommendations for intakes of hese elements can be made. METHODS: A study was conducted to ascertain the effect of moderately excessive and deficient intakes of zinc on copper metabolism and use in humans fed low and luxuriant amounts of copper. Twenty-one postmenopausal women housed in a metabo ...
- Lukaski, Henry C.; Hall, Clinton B.; Marchello, Martin J.; Siders, William A.
- Nutrition 2001 v.17 no.7-8 pp. 607
- rats; animal models; body composition; oxidative stress; dieting; body fat; dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry; males; weanlings; diet; body mass index; weight loss; obesity; dehydration (animal physiology); in vivo studies
- ... Evidence of the validity and accuracy of dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) to measure soft-tissue composition of laboratory rats with altered body composition associated with nutritional perturbations is lacking. We compared DXA determinations made in prone and supine positions with measurements of chemical composition of 49 male, weanling Sprague-Dawley rats that were fed the basal AIN-93 growth di ...