Jump to Main Content
- Magee, Pamela J.; Owusu-Apenten, Richard; McCann, Mark J.; Gill, Chris I.; Rowland, Ian R.
- Nutrition and cancer 2012 v.64 no.5 pp. 741-748
- Bowman-Birk inhibitor; Cicer arietinum; anticarcinogenic activity; breast neoplasms; cell proliferation; cell viability; chemoprevention; chickpeas; kidney beans; mung beans; prostatic neoplasms; soybeans
- ... The soybean-derived protease inhibitor, Bowman-Birk inhibitor (BBI), is currently showing great promise as a novel cancer chemopreventive agent. In contrast to the wealth of research conducted on this compound, the anticancer effects of protease inhibitors isolated from other leguminous sources have received limited attention. In the current study, 7 protease inhibitor concentrates (PICs) were iso ...
- Wang, Hsiao-Chi; Hsieh, Shu-Chen; Yang, Jen-Hung; Lin, Shuw-Yuan; Sheen, Lee-Yan
- Nutrition and cancer 2012 v.64 no.5 pp. 770-780
- viability; mitochondrial membrane; membrane potential; humans; reactive oxygen species; carcinoma; chemoprevention; garlic; oils; cytochrome c; endoplasmic reticulum; caspase-4; apoptosis; anticarcinogenic activity
- ... Diallyl trisulfide (DATS), an active component of garlic oil, has attracted much attention because of its anticancer effect on several types of cancers. However, the mechanism of DATS-induced apoptosis of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is not fully understood. In the present study, we revealed that DATS-mediated dose-dependent induction of apoptosis in BCC cells was associated with intracellular react ...