Jump to Main Content
- Piovia-Scott, Jonah
- Oecologia 2011 v.166 no.2 pp. 411-420
- food plants, etc ; Araneae; Conocarpus erectus; Formicidae; herbivores; hurricanes; leaves; mutualism; nectaries; plant damage; plant growth; predation; predators; pruning; tannins; trichomes; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... Protective ant-plant mutualisms--where plants provide food or shelter to ants and ants protect the plants from herbivores--are a common feature in many ecological communities, but few studies have examined the effect of disturbance on these interactions. Disturbance may affect the relationship between plants and their associated ant mutualists by increasing the plants' susceptibility to herbivores ...
- PubMed Central:
- Willig, Michael R.; Presley, Steven J.; Bloch, Christopher P.
- Oecologia 2011 v.165 no.2 pp. 357-368
- food plants, etc ; Phasmatodea; Piper; hurricanes; land use; linear models; microclimate; rain forests; temperature; understory; wet season; Puerto Rico; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Understanding the effects of disturbance and secondary succession on spatio-temporal patterns in the abundance of species is stymied by a lack of long-term demographic data, especially in response to infrequent and high intensity disturbances, such as hurricanes. Moreover, resistance and resilience to hurricane-induced disturbance may be mediated by legacies of previous land use, although such int ...