Jump to Main Content
- Alves, JosÃ© A.; Gunnarsson, TÃ³mas G.; Potts, Peter M.; GÃ©linaud, Guillaume; Sutherland, William J.; Gill, Jennifer A.
- Oikos 2012 v.121 no.3 pp. 464-470
- birds; breeding; breeding sites; evolution; flight; models; spring; travel; volunteers; winter; Iceland
- ... For many migratory bird species, the latitudinal range of the winter distribution spans thousands of kilometres, thus encompassing considerable variation in individual migration distances. Pressure to winter near breeding areas is thought to be a strong driver of the evolution of migration patterns, as individuals undertaking a shorter migration are generally considered to benefit from earlier arr ...
- PerezâHeydrich, Carolina; Oli, Madan K.; Brown, Mary B.
- Oikos 2012 v.121 no.3 pp. 377-388
- Gopherus polyphemus; at-risk population; chronic diseases; hosts; infectious diseases; models; mortality; population dynamics; respiratory tract diseases; wildlife diseases; wildlife management
- ... Despite a heightened interest regarding the role of infectious diseases in wildlife conservation, few studies have explicitly addressed the impacts of chronic, persistent diseases on longâterm host population dynamics. Using mycoplasmal upper respiratory tract disease (URTD) within natural gopher tortoise Gopherus polyphemus populations as a model system, we investigated the influence of chronic ...